Monday, October 31, 2011

The city of students


Patras is definitely famous for Agios Andreas church, Rio-Antirio bridge, the port (maybe tentoura as well :-P), but not less, it is also known as the city of students. Three major universities are: University of Patras, Hellenic Open University and TEI of Patras, where more than 30.000 study every year.
The Gerokostopoulou stairs (gr. Γεροκωστοπουλου), are just above Patras main square, plateia Georgiou. It’s a popular place among students, where they gather for coffee, ouzo, beer, to play board games or watch football. The area is very nice with its own unique character: narrow streets, small coffee places and restaurants, all with affordable prices.

 
The café on the photo is just somewhere in the middle of the stairs. I have never been inside, it was already closed when I first saw it. Despite that, it really caught my attention when passing by. I like the photo so much, that eventually it became the background of my blog (if You haven’t noticed :-P). I don’t even know what was the name of the café when it existed, and I really regret never having a chance to sit down for coffee there…
Everything in one place: strong colors and different shapes, wooden furniture and stone walls, small windows and old door, some palm tree out of nowhere, truly unique place. So many contrasts, and yet somehow it all fits together. This café is like a symbol of the area for me.

 Photo details: Panasonic DMC-FX 150, Landscape Mode, f 1/2.8, 1/640s, 0EV, f=29mm (for 35mm), GIMP software

No comments:

Post a Comment