Panagiotis Skagiopoulos was a famous and wealthy raisin merchant in Patras in the end of 19th and begining of 20th century. He was also a great philantrop and active citizen. In 1926 he fully financied a construction of orphanage center, named after him. Today, the same name is used for the whole neighborhood, south east from the center. The orphanage was inaugurated on December 29th, 1929 by Eleftherios Venizelos, greek prime minister at that time.
The building itself was renovated in 2001, with help of Kostas Dimitriadis, but regardless of that, is not in use since then. In 1982, half of the area surrounding the orphanage, including it’s gardens, was awarded to the citizens and is now the only green spot available in the neighbourhood. A.O. Skagiopouleio is one of the oldest basketball clubs in the city and has participated five times in the First Division category. It features also volleyball and, in the past, climbing and cycling sections.
Photo: NIKON D70s, AP, f 1/9, 1/400s, -0.3EV, f=27 mm (for 35mm), GIMP software